Sunday, June 26, 2016

3. Dodger Stadium - August 12, 2015

So after the Padres game ended, I got in my car and began driving to Dodger Stadium. My GPS said it would take a little under three hours to get there. Not too bad, right? Wrong.

I was able to get to the highway and make pretty good time heading up Route 5 (They call their highways "The 5, The 405, etc. which is just weird to me). I then merged onto 73, which led to Route 405 and my nightmare began.

For what felt like six hours, I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. There were like five different highways that were merging into this one large highway. It was the worst driving experience I've ever had. When people say Los Angeles traffic is bad, believe them.

My view down the right field line.


I finally got to the stadium just before 7pm, the game time was 7:10. I parked in a $5 lot and walked up a long hill to get to the stadium. I'd rather walk than sit in my car waiting to get to a closer lot. Even with this, I missed the first inning of the game. Most of it was because of traffic, but Clayton Kershaw throwing 13 pitches in the first inning had something to do with it.

I got to my seat and let out a loud exhale because I was finally at the stadium. The Dodgers were facing Bryce Harper and the Washington Nationals. Again, I purchased my ticket from Scorebig.com, this time for only $18. I was heckling Harper for most of the game.

The game was flying by. It wasn't until the bottom of the third when a pitcher faced more than three batters. Kershaw had a no-hitter going until the top of the sixth when Michael Taylor hit a double to center field. I could hear people talking about it, which jinxed it. The first rule about a no-no is that you don't talk about the no-no. He would allow just three hits over eight innings.

As for the stadium, it was quite the opposite of Petco Park. There are no outside attractions near the stadium. You can still see the game from the concourse, but was closed off on the other side. These West Coast stadiums seem very small compared to the majority on the East Coast. There aren't as many levels and not many seats in the outfield.

Something I didn't mention in my last visit was food. I had a bag of peanuts and a hot dog (I think) at Petco Park. At Dodger Stadium, I took things to another level. I had what they called the Frito Pie dog. It was a hot dog topped with chili, cheese and, of course, Fritos and some garlic fries on the side. As much as my stomach hated me, I ate the whole thing.

My attempt at a panoramic picture of Dodger Stadium

The game ended with Kenley Jansen coming in and closing the game for the Dodgers. Thanks to Kershaw's dominance, the game lasted just two hours and 20 minutes. That means, I spent more time in my car getting to the stadium than I spent in the actual stadium. I'm not complaining, but I am complaining.

I got back to my hotel in a reasonable time, which concluded my long day. The next time I do a double header, I plan on going to two stadiums much closer to each other.

As for this stadium, it's alright, but nothing extravagant. Leaving the stadium, I saw the LA skyline, which was nice but I wish you could see it from the stadium, similar to the arch in St. Louis. Overall, it was a good experience and the food was what baseball food should be - calorie-filled and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment