Wednesday, September 28, 2016

7. Oriole Park at Camden Yards - July 24, 2016

I spent most of Saturday visiting the historical monuments and museums. It was definitely an experience I recommend taking part in.

After that, I packed all my stuff and made my way to Camden Yards. Correction, Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The stadium is located right off Highway 395 and across the street from M&T Bank Stadium where the Ravens play. After following cars around a neighborhood like cattle being led to slaughter, I found a cheap $10 lot. I had a bit of a hike ahead of me, but I'd rather save the money and walk.

If you enter the stadium from left field, you are greeted with a walkway full of shops. Just walking around the stadium, you get a historic feel. The name alone brings back some great memories. There are team stores, restaurants and more to enjoy before you get to your seat and enjoy the game. I didn't spend a lot of time out there. For a 1:35 game, it was over 100 degrees out. Or at least it felt like it.

My view down the third base line.
There was a Jim Palmer jersey giveaway for the first 10,000 guests 16 and over. That's a weird age limit for a jersey. Why can't a 10-year-old get a jersey?

The game didn't even start and I was sweating through my shirt. I grabbed a water on my way to the seat. Again, why can't people just sit in their purchased seats the first time? I don't get why people decide to just plop wherever they feel like it when they sure as hell know they will have to get up eventually.

When I bought my ticket, I was scouting the stadium layout and noticed something strange. There was a large overhang from the second deck for the back rows on the first level. Pillars and the sections themselves obstructed the view of a lot of people. Fly balls were hard to judge once they reached a certain height.

The starting pitchers were Corey Kluber (Cleveland) against Vance Worley (Baltimore). I was excited to see both teams. The Indians were 16 games over .500 before the game and competing in the American League Central. The Orioles were just as good at 56-40.

Cleveland has some young stars like Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez to pair with veterans Mike Napoli and Jason Kipnis. The Orioles have sluggers Manny Machado, Adam Jones, Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo.
Orioles stars Manny Machado and Adam Jones
While the score doesn't reflect it, there was a lot of excitement throughout. The Indians struck first with a double and sac fly in the fourth inning to go up 2-0. The Orioles responded with two runs of their own in the bottom half of the inning.

Jonathan Schoop (pronounced scope) hit a solo home run in the fifth. The Indians tied it up in the top of the eighth. The Indians brought in closer Cody Allen to bring this game into extra innings. That would not be the case.

Pedro Alvarez reached on an error by the catcher. With two outs, Pinch hitter Nolan Reimold hit a walk-off home run to left field, sending Orioles fans home happy. That was my first time experiencing a walk-off hit, let alone a home run, so I got caught up in the moment, even though I was wearing a Yankees hat.

The game time was 2 hours and 46 minutes. Oh, I forget which batter, I think Trumbo, but someone lost grip on their bat and it flew into the stands. It later happened again, this time on the third base side.

On my way out of the stadium, I opened up Pokemon Go (remember that game) and caught some uncommon Pokemon. I bought another water bottle and made it to my car. Even though I made a wrong turn, I was able to get onto the highway and begin my drive home. I made it back minutes before eight o'clock and was able to watch WWE Battleground.

Before you ask, I did grab a hot dog with fries. Again, it's a great ballpark food. I added chopped onions and mustard. It could have been cooked a little longer. I like some grill marks on my dogs, but it could have been worse.

Though my view was blocked a little, I had a good time at the park. I had a good view of the infield. I do recommend buying tickets for an upper section so this doesn't happen to you. Overall, Camden Yards has a historical presence that you can't ignore. I would easily go back to this stadium, with better seats next time.

There is one more ballpark I visited in 2016. I'll post that visit sometime next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment